The Lagos State Scholarship Board was established following the Lagos State Executive Council resolution LSEC (68) of October, 1968. Lagos State Scholarship Board started from a rented apartment in No 75 Brickfield Road, Ebute-Metta when it was established in 1968. It later moved from that rented house to a government building in Maryland in 1992. Few years later, the Board was on the move due to the State Primary Board which took over the office accommodation. On the 27th of February 1995, the Board moved to its present site at 254, Ipaja Road, Beside NYSC Orientation Camp, Agege.
The law establishing the Lagos State Scholarship Board was reviewed and assented to by His Excellency, Mr. Babatunde Raji Fashola, SAN on 27th September, 2012.
To become an outstanding agency in the provision of financial assistance to scholars in Lagos State
To encourage educational growth of deserving students through prompt provision of financial assistance for self-reliance and social economic development of the State
The Board has a Director/Secretary and the following eight (8) Departments and Units:
- Bursary Department
- Foreign Scholarship Department
- Local Scholarship Department
- and HR Department
- Operations Department
- Accounts Department
- Planning, Statistics & Budget Unit
- Press & Public Affairs Unit
POLICY OF THE BOARD
- To ensure that all State Annual Scholarships are advertised.
- To make awards only to deserving students of Lagos State Origin
- To consider the adequacy of the qualifications of applicants for their proposed courses of study, evidence of good character, evidence of satisfactory progress report where the applicant is already in the university.